This proves that Spinach Artichoke Dip does not have to be a totally unhealthy indulgence. Well, it’s not quite diet food either, but besides being much lower in sodium than any restaurant version out there, this also has a lighter hand on piling on the fat calories and you get a good bit of veggies.
Plus you get waaaaaaaaaaayyy more Artichokes when you make it yourself 😉
Make extra, it makes a terrific layering ingredient to so many things (like Fish Wellington, and Spaghetti Squash Bake)
- 1 pack frozen chopped spinach (10 oz), thawed
- 1 pack frozen artichoke hearts (9 oz), thawed or canned (if using canned, drain and rinse)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup thick fromage blanc (or sour cream)
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded (mine had 5 cheeses in it) + some for topping …sometimes when I am really hungry, I use 2 cups 😉
- Squeeze the defrosted spinach until mostly drained. set aside.
- Chop the artichoke hearts into small pieces (chunks are fine, just remember you have to be able to ‘dip’ it up)
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon oil, then add the minced garlic and stir, cooking carefully until golden, but not brown.
- Add the Spinach, Artichokes and the Fromage Blanc, stir then add the cottage cheese and heat until it gets stringy.
- Add the Italian cheese mix, and heat until melted, pour into a serving dish or oven proof form and sprinkle with some more cheese, cover and allow the cheese topping to melt. Serve with veggies or corn chips for dipping.
- Can be made in advance, cover and refrigerate, then reheat in the oven at 350 until hot and melted, or microwave until hot.
Copyright © 2012 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved