Serve up some summer!
‘Alla checca’ is one version of a classic Italian summer fresh uncooked tomato sauce. Dreamed up in Italy, when the summer sun ripens tomatoes by the minute and you just don’t want the extra heat nor want to spend much time indoors cooking sauce. When tomatoes are at their ripest and most flavorful, you want to give this recipe a try. Use either your own fresh picked tomatoes or something pretty from the farmers market, no watery, flavorless kind from the store will do here.
To take this a step further, I omitted the pasta and went with another summertime favorite that abounds in gardens this time a year, summer squash. Using Julienne cut zucchini and yellow squash instead of noodles, this is THE best dish of the summer. Low in calories, refreshing and oh so yummy! And the colors were so vivid and bright, I just kept looking at it, until my whole kitchen smelled like the garlic I used and hadn’t cleaned up yet;) Not as bad as the one time my whole house smelled like onions for a week, because of my over zealous helper, but more on that some other time…
Use it as a vegan main meal or serve some meat or mozzarella cheese on top or alongside. A crusty slice of bread would go well here too.
- 2 medium summer squash (I used one zucchini and one yellow, for visual appeal and because that’s what I had)
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup black olives, preferably niçoise
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
Special tools: Julienne peeler
- Julienne the squash like such, set aside in a medium bowl
- Chop the tomatoes, add the garlic, capers and olives, cut into pieces if big, grind black pepper over top and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to mix the sauce ingredients. Let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes to let the tomatoes release some of their juices, then salt to taste (I find that with the olives and capers, I need hardly any salt)
- Roll the basil leaves and slice into thin long ribbons, add about half to the dish, toss. reserve the rest for topping.
- Divide the cut zucchini and squash on two deep paste plates (as a main meal, four if served as a side) Top generously with the ‘alla checca’ sauce and some more basil, serve and let everyone grind some more pepper on top, if they like.
© 2012 SimpleHealthyHomemade