I admit, I did not make the pretzels. I only made them into something. Something better, or so I like to think.
I started out with no salt added pretzels. Why? Because there is so much sodium in and ON regular pretzels that I’d rather just add some myself. At least then I know how much and I can use my RealSalt or Himalayan salt. This is a super easy snack mix that looks and tastes a lot more expensive than it is to make. Make a double quantity and serve it up for cocktail hour at your next dinner party.
- 2 cups salt free pretzels
- 1/2 cup pecans or almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- salt shaker with salt of choice
- Pre heat oven to 300ºF
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the cayenne and chipotle, adjust the spice level down if necessary (start with just 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and omit the chipotle, if you are sensitive to heat) and mix well
- Add the pretzels and toss until evenly coated, then add the nuts and mix until they are coated too.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.
© 2012 SimpleHealthyHomemade