Sausage can be a mixed bag of tricks. Store bought it often contains a lot of fat with the flavor that we all want. But if you want to control fat and sodium content, blending up your own patties (unless you know of a great source that makes chicken sausage from just breasts) is often the only choice. It’s quick and cheap and oh so versatile! Trim all visible fat from the chicken breast prior to making these.
- 1 boneless chicken breast half, coarsely chopped (1/2 to 3/4 pounds)
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons scallions or onion to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika, sweet
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper pieces, red and green (about 1/4 pepper each)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, (optional, to add some spice)
- Pulse all the ingredients except the peppers in the blender until chopped, but not pasty
- Stir in the pepper pieces and using a table spoon, form into 2-3″ patties.
- Cook in a hot skillet until cooked through and nicely browned. (Or bake in a 375ºF oven)
- Can be made in advance and frozen. When needed just pop in the microwave or defrost and heat in the toaster oven.
Serve as a side with soup or White Bean Stew with Leeks and Thyme
Copyright © 2012 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved