To accompany the traditional Brazilian dish, Feijoada Completa, you need some garlicy collards to round out your meal. And just because we all can use more dark leafy greens in out everyday diet and it is soooo tasty prepared this way! Oh and of course, don’t forget to make yourself a caipiriña or two!
- 7-8 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced finely
- 2 bunches collard greens, washed and cleaned
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Cut the hard center stem out of the collard leaves, then roll a few up together like a cigarette and slice into 1/8″ slivers. Repeat until all the greens are prepared in this way. Or if you happen to have a Brazilian grocer closeby, you might be able to get your greens already prepared that way!
- Peel the garlic and slice finely.
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium and add the sliced garlic, cook until golden, (do not let it get brown or it will get bitter)
- Add the greens to the pan and about a 1/4 cup water, sprinkle with salt, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until tender.( stick them all in the pan, even if it doesn’t seem to fit, just balance the lid on top. Trust me, they will cook down a LOT)
- Serve as a side dish for example with your Slow Cooker Feijoada
Copyright © 2014 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved