Easy to make, quick and yummy. Just the treat you can make when company shows up unexpected or you want something for tomorrow’s breakfast, but really have no time or patience to stand in the kitchen. Which is what has been happening around here a lot lately, the having no time, not the unexpected visits. Gosh that would REALLY throw off my schedule! I have been so busy, I cannot even keep up with the planned visits some weeks!
But enough about me, let’s get to baking!
These scones are only ever so slightly sweet. I honestly had no sugar in the house, all I had was coconut sugar, so that’s what I used. Generally they would get a sprinkle of raw sugar before they go in the oven, but again, that only works if ya got some!
I used frozen blackberries for this one, but you could use raspberries as well. If you are using fresh berries, be careful folding them in, they are very delicate. You may also need to adjust baking time.
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or turbinado/raw sugar)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 tsp lemon essence/flavor (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Then add the coconut oil, cream, lemon essence (if using) and the egg and stir until a lumpy dough forms.
- Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Drop onto prepared sheet by the 1/4 cup fulls. This should make about 10-12.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden and tester inserted sideways comes out clean.
Copyright © 2014 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved