Late summer is just around the corner and I bet you have gotten
a bit tired less excited about all the zucchini that keep appearing in your garden. You pick them small, so you don’t have too much, but then as if by magic, there is yet another one, that must have grown while you blinked. Maybe some sort of alternate zucchini universe thing, who knows?
Here is an idea that is savory, and as delicious for breakfast as it is as a side. Get vegetables, protein and complex carbs for your breakfast? check! Plus add some points for frugal, powerhouse nutrition in the optional chia seeds and you sure got my attention!
(Serves 2 or 4 as a side)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated on the coarse side of the grater
- 1 egg
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or old-fashioned both work)
- (optional: 1 tbsp chia seeds)
- 1 pinch salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine egg, zucchini and oats (and chia if using) in a large bowl, stir with a fork to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the oats to soak up some of the juices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add a little oil.
- Stir the zucchini mixture, then drop by the heaped 1/4 cup into the pan, flatten slightly, cook until browned, then flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper, or some cut up fresh tomatoes from your garden, or add some yummy Salsa and enjoy!
Copyright © 2013 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved.